13 November 2009

I'm a nerd

It was obvious at the craft fair. Talk of craft knives (my mini X-Acto was a hit) and paper storage kept my energy up. Corina's daughter was there, and we talked a very little bit. She's a student at Choate, a private school in Connecticut. My contribution to that part of the conversation was, "I went to summer school at Choate. I really wanted to go. (Sigh and shoulder shrug) I'm a big nerd." And yes, way back in high school, I actually asked to go to summer school. Not at my high school, at a prep school.

And I loved it. I took Econ, Creative Writing, and an SAT Verbal Prep class. You also had to do sports, and I played soccer after classes (I love the sport, but hadn't played in years and was surprising ok). I also learned how disastrously bad I am at pool in the Student Union. And I cheered on the Dutch team in the World Cup that summer.

So, I owned my nerdy ways, to a 15 year old, and have been in a geek-rut since Saturday. I read an article about a new bike-commuter facility in DC and put it on Facebook, asking what the overlap between rail commuters and bike commuters is, and suggesting we map it out in a Venn Diagram.



Being a nerd, however, does have some clout. I loved Venn Diagrams in school, and clearly I'm not the only one. I love the word, math, and pop culture play inside "Venn That Tune". I first ran into these images as cards on Moo and had fun looking through the graphics. I think it's great that moo has embraced the images, too. There is such much fantastic illustration on the site available for you to co opt for your own purposes (business cards, note cards, post cards, etc.), and the inclusion of these math based images makes me love Moo more. (My anwer to the Venn That Tune below is The Holly and the Ivy. Feedback, please. I'm not so confident in this answer.)



On a sadder note, I was going to finish my first order yesterday, but my evening was thrown off because my bike was stolen. I'm a little heartbroken. I've had it for almost 18 years. So, I'll finish the order tonight. I also have another order in! My friend Christine went on the Etsy shop and wants a small set of the ornament card as well. I think I have amazing friends. Thanks!!

To end happily, I took at look at my Google Analytics for the Etsy shop, and I've had visitors from 11 countries! As I said earlier, it is addictive.
Australia (x3)
China (x1 - I suspect this is a good friend)
UK (x3)
Latvia (x1)

No comments: